Tuesday, December 5

I love stuffing (and a recipe)


When I was a teenager, and my parents were out of town, I subsisted on little more than no-pulp Tropicana orange juice, Nutri-grain waffles, and boxes upon boxes of Pepperidge Farm stuffing. It was easy to make (you just had to boil water and melt butter), filled me up, and I could eat it out of the pot while watching TV.

If I ate this diet today I'd weigh more than 200 pounds—and sometimes I question whether this exorbitant wheat consumption led to celiac in the first place—but, nevertheless...
I really miss stuffing.

So this Thanksgiving, rather than make the real thing for guests and a sad little afterthought GF version for myself, I decided to make an enormous, glorious, non-glutinous stuffing for all. I stuffed the bird with it. I baked a whole pan on the side. And I ate it in mounds. Here's the recipe:

Wild Mushroom Stuffing

Ingredients:
1 ENER-G Corn Loaf (Ener-G makes really light, almost airy GF breads that work well for stuffing), cut into half inch cubes
1 ENER-G Tapioca Loaf, cut into half inch cubes
1 stick butter (1 cup), or non-dairy substitute
1 1/2 pound wild mushrooms, sliced (I used cremini, oyster, morel, and plain old white button--but you can try just about any mixture)
2 1/2 large onions, chopped
5 celery stalks, chopped
2 teaspoons dried thyme
3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried
1 teaspoon dried sage
Cracked black Pepper and salt to taste
2-4 cups organic chicken broth, depending on how moist you like your stuffing ( you can also easily replace with vegetable broth)

A day before cooking place bread on baking sheets to get stale and crisp. The day of cut into small pieces and place in large bowl.
Preheat oven to 375°F.

Melt the butter (or margarine) in large-ish pot on high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium. Add mushrooms; stir until they begin to soften (they'll release juices), around 5 minutes. Add celery and stir 5 more minutes. Mix in bread until ingredients are well blended. Add in seasonings.

To bake in a bird:
Combine half of the broth into bread mixture. Fill main turkey or chicken cavity with stuffing. Add the remaining broth into remaining stuffing to moisten. Spoon into a buttered baking dish. Cover with buttered aluminum foil. Bake in a dish alongside bird until heated through. This takes about 45 minutes.

1 comment:

GrewUpRural said...

When I was younger, stuffing was favorite part of any holiday. I would also make it for dinner. Your recipe sounds great. Will have to try one day.